Tuesday 21 April 2020

I learned how to make Farata via Whatsapp video call

In the past couple of weeks, I've been experimenting quite a bit in the kitchen. From Scones, bread or Bao bun which was a... complete disaster! 


Apart from the bread, I've done Scones or Bao bun so many times & never fail. Thank goodness, I was able to transform the bread into a Pudding (ou ti kav kal la port)... Note to self: not a time to experiment! 

Whatsapp call

My mum does the best farata! She never missed them & always tastes good! So it was obvious that she has to teach me. 

Wait! You're Mauritian, nearly 30, married, soon a mom & still doesn't know how to make roti?!? baaap! Said the little Dadi


Through the video call, she explained to me every step. By the way, she is not used to measure any of her ingredients, so the video call was even more important instead of a simple call. 

So, she explained to me the magic of combining the flour, water & oil to make the dough. Rolled it. Brushed oil on the flatten dough & the art of folding them. Fun all the way... & messy!

The way I do still need some adjustments. However, you can refer to this recipe from ebox.mu to make farata. The only difference is I used vegetable oil instead of ghee or butter.


Ou roti pas rond!

I waited a few minutes before cooking. 1st farata was "meh"! Then for the rest, I was pleasantly surprised how it came out. Despite they were not round haha. I was 90% sure it would be a total fail again just like the Scones, Bread & Bao bun few days earlier. 

However, I made them too thin & it came out a bit hard when cooled down.






Meanwhile, the rougaille "touni" & chicken curry were cooking aside. Me & Poussin prefers mild curry though. We have a low tolerance for spicy foods & my pregnancy... ouch hello heartburn!



And voila! Dinner is served.


Breakfast

I made another batch the next day. Nothing is comparable to a hot farata with butter & cheese for breakfast. I took note of some few mistakes I've made & just adjusted the ingredients. Thicker & buttery.

For breakfast, it was either oats, Weetabix or granola. No bread! :( And oh! Finally, I was able to eat fruits after 2 weeks. I'm so grateful for that too.

I saw yummy dishes on social media since lockdown. Finally we all have a "masterchef" hidden within us. From chocolate brioche, naan, pizza, the famous Dalgona coffee to bread! damn! Are we going to continue this after lockdown? hmmm



Good luck along your creative way!

No comments:

Post a Comment